Thursday 15 August 2013

Manali to Rohtang Pass

MANY RIVERS TO CROSS Another early start was in store for us as we left Manali behind, riding through the early morning mist and drizzle that we had now become accustomed to, the sweet smell of cannabis ever present in the air (it grows wild at the side of the road)
we climed higher and higher until we reached the top of the Rohtang pass. Admittedly, I wasn;t looking forward to today's ride but the weather turned brighter as we descended over the other side of the pass and I managed to successfully ride the rock, mud and boulders without coming off. However, as always in this unpredictable place, the riding was soon to become increasingly more difficult as we climbed another pass (Kaza) and the dreaded river crossings loomed. I did manage quite a few but they were becoming more difficult and deep with hidden rocks and boulders around every turn. I ended up dropping the bike with the bike landing on top of my leg with me wedged underneath. Luckily, someone was looking down on me and Ranju our mechanic rushed to my rescue. Unluckily for me after completing the Rohtang pass and the increasing altitude and a few more soakings in rivers crossings coupled with 8 hours riding I decided I couldn't carry on and decided the spend the last two hours ride in the Jeep.

No comments:

Post a Comment