Saturday 10 August 2013

Shangri La

DAy 4 - shangri la After a short ride to the nearby town to get our innerliner permits sorted for the Spiti Valley we fueled up our bikes (mine came to R300, about 3 quid) ready for tommorow's big ride to Tabo and its famous monestry. "Tabo monestry stands in the cold and arid barren desert of Spiti with 9 temples, 23 chortens, the monestry held its 1000 year of foundation in 1996" I had been reading about Tabo and its monestry and its somewhere I was looking forward to visiting. However, it wasn't to be as later on in the day we heard reports of another landslide and the road was completely impassable. The plan for today was to double back the way we came down the Karchem to Wangtu Road (I use the term road very loosely here!!) The only problem with riding is that you cant take photographs plus you are concentrating all your efforts on actually keeping the bike upright in the first place.
Ok, I didn't keep it quite upright, I fell off in some knee deep mud, luckily for me it was soft mud or I would have been in trouble, anyhow no harm done. I have come to the conclusion that this trip is not for the faint hearted and that yesterdays posting being the ride of my life will shortly be replaced by another more exciting and equally crazy road. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment