Thursday 8 August 2013

The Ride of My Life

Day 3 After a breakfast of paratha and curried vegetables we set off back down the mountain pass taking in all the twisty turns in reverse. I didnt know it yet but today turned out to be one of the most exhilirating and challenging days of my 30 year biking history. We rode through landslides, over boulders and rocks and through thick sand and mud and dust but the most challenging of all were the river crossings. Hesitation is not an option and I soon discovered that the only way was to literally just "go for it", point the bike in the right direcdtion, easy on the throttle, feet up and go. The Enfield is a truly remarkable machine (I know I am constantly singing its praises but it really is!) and it carries you rather than the other way around. On many an occasion I felt the back wheels slip from under me as I hit boulders and rocks on both the river crossings and through the thick mud and gravel road surfaces and it kept true to its "bullit" proof name and carried me thorough in once piece. Upon arrival at our hotel we were greeted with well deserved cups of steaming hot chai and paneer pakora. After dinner I drifted peacefully to sleep in the extremely comfy, spotless bed of the Shangi La Hotel surrounded by views of Mount Kinnear Kailash from my bed, a perfect end to an amazing day. Cant seem to add photos from this pc, will try again in a few days time..over and out...

No comments:

Post a Comment