Tuesday 6 August 2013

UP TO SLOW DOWN

Day 1 on an Enfield My new Mantra for the day...... Slowly geting used to the feel of my Royal Enfield Bullit. I have been reciting the word in my head over and over during the first days ride..."up to slow down, down to speed up" I've only ever rode an Enfield once in India and that was many moons ago and trying to remember that, not only are the gears on the wrong side, they are back to front as well (i.e, one up and 4 down) as opposed to the standard UK/Jap/German configuration, also, the brakes are on the opposite side as well. Confused? Yes, I was. Hence my mantra to self. After an early start from Shimla and a pre-bike briefing on the complexities of the Enfield and how to kick the bike up sucessfully (just about mastered this after about 10 goes)!! we set off on the road of many hazards. There were pot holes, cows, and landslides a plenty, not to mention the kamikaze truck drivers who overtake on blind bends and a heard of horses and that was all in the first hour!! Gradually after a few hours riding it all started to come together and I could begin to relax(sic) and enjoy the hour after of hour of twisty turns. Enfield V BMW The Enfield is a great ride and perfectly suited to these roads, and, I hate to say it, handles far better than my newer, more modern BMW F650 that I ride at home. Cornering is a piece of cake and you are not constantly up and down the gears (are you listening BMW sat at home in Hebden Bridge??). No, I'm not writing a review on the Enfield Vs the BMW for Bike Magazine but, if I was the Enfield wins hands down, no contest!!!
Eric and Vicky, my two biking mates from Todmorden, if you are reading this, do you remember our last ride out over the tops? Well, thats a pretty accurate description of the conditions of yesterdays ride out (only consolation is lots of brew stop for steaming hot chai), exactly like being at home although not quite. As they say, onwards and upwards and its pretty high up here in Sarahan (not sure of the spelling) and hopefully tomorrow I won't need my MANTRA.

No comments:

Post a Comment